How come we created a tool to call your colleagues to lunch? Well, we
came across some problems getting everybody to eat lunch together and we
don't like problems unsolved. So here's what we came up with.
The Problem -> Our Solution
1. You and your colleagues are in different offices but meet for lunch
almost every day. Around twelve o'clock you get hungry and walk by every
office to inform the others that it is time for lunch. In every office
you wait for a few seconds until everyone is finally on his feet and ready
-> Instead of this you and your colleagues can just start the lunchinator
in the morning. If you feel like it you set up your preferred lunch time.
When you are hungry, you hit the button and everyone is notified. Of course
you can also add a short message.
No further setup or registration is needed. You just start it up and leave
2. Every day you and your colleagues have to agree on the restaurant,
canteen or imbiss for lunch.
-> Just use the voter plugin and wait for someone to suggest place and
time or suggest one yourself. You immediately see the favourite spot without
leaving your chair.
If you are in a big company that has a webcam in the canteen or the lunch
menu on a website you can easily integrate this into the lunchinator.
Just double-click the .exe
Just download the latest tarball and unpack it. Place the Application
Bundle in your Applications folder.
Add the lunchinator ppa:
- sudo apt-add-repository ppa:lunch-team/lunchinator
- sudo apt-get update
- sudo apt-get install lunchinator
- SLES 11 SP2:
- Install PyQT 4 from the official repositories (`sudo zypper install python-qt4`)
- Make sure it works (`python -c 'from PyQt4.QtCore import QThread'`)
- Add the following repository for python-setuptools: `sudo zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/python/SLE_11_SP2/devel:languages:python.repo`
- Add the Lunchinator repository: `sudo zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Cornelius_Ratsch/SLE_11_SP2/home:Cornelius_Ratsch.repo`
- Install the Lunchinator: `sudo zypper install lunchinator`
- Other Systems that support python:
Run the python files directly:
git clone https://github.com/hannesrauhe/lunchinator.git
You can also just download the files from the github-page. You need python
and pyqt4. For full functionality more python packages are needed. The
lunchinator will install them automatically via easy_install if you want
Use / Specifications
If you have a firewall, make sure Ports 50000/UDP and 50001/TCP are open.
Over time we have written quite a number of plugins, some are conservative
and only show the lunch menu, others are a bit more fancy and allow to
control a USB missile launcher remotely. In the beginning we put all of
them into the main repository, but this got a little messy, so we move(d)
them to separate git repositories. You can either tell the lunchinator
to import them from github directly or just download the zip, extract it,
and tell the lunchinator where to find it.
Who Made This
This is the part, where the proud developers of this amazing tool usually
represent themselves in an appealing, humerous manner in order to make
you like them and thus their app even more than if you'd just read all
the convincing stats and facts about the product. But these guys decided
their tool was cool enough - against my advice. Hence the superfluous text
you're reading now.
Have A Nice Day!